Gender and Artificial Intelligence Challenge
Artificial Intelligence as a tool to help reduce bias and discrimination based on sex and gender.
The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), through its innovation laboratory IDB Lab, in the context of the fAIr LAC initiative, has launched an open innovation challenge to identify, pilot, and accelerate technological solutions based on artificial intelligence (AI) that contribute, through the concept of algorithmic justice, to reduce bias and discrimination based on sex and gender. The purpose is to find solutions that contribute to the incorporation of women into the economy and society, especially for groups in poverty or vulnerable conditions.
Along with climate change, gender equality and diversity are cross-cutting pillars in IDB Lab's work, addressed through each of the priority vertical areas outlined in IDB Group's Vision 2025 agenda and supported through consolidation of our region's innovation and entrepreneurship ecosystems.
The proposed solutions must:
- Promote gender equality through adequate data governance and mitigation of potential biases of algorithms being used;
- Explore and harness the potential of AI and machine learning to mitigate and/or address gender gaps in the priority areas of the Challenge;
- Promote social and economic inclusion of groups in poverty or vulnerable conditions, including key indicators to measure results, and
- Design a path of scalability or replication, as well as financial sustainability.
THEMATIC AREAS OF THE CHALLENGE:
- Health and Social Welfare
- Education, Talent, and Employment
- Financial Inclusion
- Other IDB Lab’s vertical areas*
*The vertical areas of IDB Lab are: (i) agriculture and natural capital; (ii) essential infrastructure services; (iii) financial inclusion; (iv) education, talent, and employment; and (v) health. In addition, it has transversal issues: (i) climate change; and (ii) gender and diversity.
- Category A - Possible IDB Lab Funding
IDB Lab financing (under the terms and conditions established in section 06 of the Challenge guidelines), and participation in special events and activities organized by IDB Lab and the IDB Group's regional networks.
- Category B - Honorable Mention
Honorable Mention and participation in special events and activities organized by IDB Lab and the regional IDB Group's networks.
WHO CAN PRESENT APPLICATIONS?
Companies, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), startups, social impact organizations, civil society organizations (NGOs, foundations), universities that develop and implement market solutions based on AI and machine learning. The solutions should contribute to economic growth, social welfare, and improvement of social health services, and education while contributing to reducing inequality.
Application submission deadline August 31, 2022 (Midnight Eastern Time, USA).
Find out more and apply for the challenge by clicking here.
THIS CONTENT WAS ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED BY BIDLAB, TO ACCESS IT CLICK HERE.